We plan to take the America West tour this September (our fourth OU tour). The first time the America West tour will be given is later this month. To help us plan the free time periods, would those taking the tour before us, please describe what they did during the free periods including restaurants they ate in. Bruce
No one responded to my questions before we took the tour (American West). Now I can answer my own questions and will do so for anyone else taking this tour.
We generally didn't do too much during the free time periods, either because (a) nothing interested us that much, (b) we needed some minor items and decided to do basic shopping in lieu of more touring, or (c) the generally high altitude left us a bit more tired than we usually would be (coming from sea level where we live). As for restaurants, we enjoyed the lunch at Tally's Silver Spoon in Rapid City. We had lunch in Cody at Irma's Hotel. The food was good (not great), but the hotel is worth seeing. We had dinner in Cody at Wyoming Rib and Chophouse. Food was tasty, at NYC prices though. We were glad we made a reservation as it was quite crowded. In Jackson Hole, we ate at the Rustic Inn for dinner. The food was very good there.
We never walked through mud or water, so didn't need high boots. Good walking waterproof shoes with good treads is all we needed.
Hello Bruce- I know it's been a long time since you took this tour but would like to know how you liked the tour overall. How crowded or uncrowded were the buses they used? How was the tour guide? Would you take another tour with Odysseys? Was there anything in particular you didn't enjoy? Just a general overview of the tour would be great as I can't find any reviews on this forum or anywhere else. Hopefully you are still travelling with Odysseys and will see this post. Any info you can provide would be appreciated. Thanks Jeanne
1. I know it's been a long time since you took this tour but would like to know how you liked the tour overall. We liked the tour because we got to see the bucket items we wanted, such as Yellowstone, Grand Tetons and Mt. Rushmore. The other things we did on the trip only added to the overall experience.
2. How crowded or uncrowded were the buses they used? There were twice as many seats as passengers on the bus, so it never felt crowded. You could sit wherever you liked – front, middle or rear.
3. How was the tour guide? Guide was good. She had been a park ranger and knew a lot about the places we went to see.
4. Would you take another tour with Odysseys? We took our fifth OU tour after America West and are hoping to take more in the future.
5. Was there anything in particular you didn't enjoy? Just a general overview of the tour would be great as I can't find any reviews on this forum or anywhere else. We would have preferred to stay at a Yellowstone Lodge, although we appreciate that would significantly increase the cost. Compared with the four European OU tours we took where the hotels were typically four stars, some of the hotels on this tour were quite basic and forgettable. Possibly, OU has made hotel changes based on feedback from the travelers in the past three years. We highly recommend OU tours and expect they will rebound from the current stoppages back to their high standards.
Odysseys Unlimited reserves the right to monitor and/or remove the content of the Message Board.
In using the Message Board, you agree not to:
• undermine the operation of the Message Board
• use the Message Board to harass others
• use the Message Board to propagate any inappropriate, defamatory, libelous, threatening, infringing, obscene, or unlawful material or information.
You agree not to impersonate any person or entity or falsely represent your affiliation with any person or entity.
We may terminate your account and your access to the online community if we believe, in our sole discretion, that you have violated any of the terms of this agreement.
Message Board services are provided on an "as is, as available" basis. We do not endorse, and specifically disclaim any responsibility or liability for, any content in the Message Board.
If you find any information that is objectionable or encounter someone who you find in violation of the rules of conduct, please notify us by sending an e-mail to email@example.com.